Another City - Home / News / Novodevichy Convent

Novodevichy Convent

The Novodevichy Convent was founded in 1524 by Grand Prince Vasili III in commemoration of the conquest of Smolensk in 1514. It was built as a fortress at a curve of the Moskva River and became an important part of the southern defensive belt of the capital, which had already included a number of other monasteries. Upon its founding, the Novodevichy Convent was granted 3,000 rubles and the villages of Akhabinevo and Troparevo. Ivan the Terrible would later grant a number of other villages to the convent.

 

 

The Novodevichy Convent was known to have sheltered many ladies from the Russian royal families and boyar clans, who had been forced to take the veil, such as Feodor I's wife Irina Godunova (she was there with her brother Boris Godunov until he became a ruler himself), Sophia Alekseyevna (Peter the Great's sister), Eudoxia Lopukhina (Peter the Great's first wife), and others. In 1610–1611, the Novodevichy Convent was captured by a Polish unit under the command of Aleksander Gosiewski. Once the convent was retaken by Russian forces, the tsar supplied it with permanent guards (100 Streltsy in 1616, 350 soldiers in 1618). By the end of the 17th century, the Novodevichy Convent possessed 36 villages (164,215 desyatinas of land) in 27 uyezds of Russia. In 1744, it owned 14,489 peasants.

 

  • Address: Novodevichy Passage, 1.

 

 

Source:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novodevichy_Convent

See other:

Humidification system in Sokolniki Park Humidification system in Sokolniki Park In the Large rosary of Sokolniki Park now you can enjoy so relevant innovation for this hot summer – an air humidification system. Подробнее...
Elk Island National Nature Park Elk Island National Nature Park Elk Island straddles the boundary between Moscow proper and the suburbs of the north-west of the city, and is home to an amazing variety of animal and plant life. Подробнее...
Ostankino Estate Ostankino Estate Ostankino Palace is a former summer residence and private opera theater of Sheremetev family, originally situated several kilometres to the north from Moscow but now a ... Подробнее...
Cafe Cafe "Avocado" Cafe "Avocado" is a universal institution for vegetarians, vegans and raw foodists with international cuisine – the recipes for the menu are collected from all over the... Подробнее...
Courtyards in Nikitskiy Boulevard Courtyards in Nikitskiy Boulevard It is the longest line of courtyards with a through-passage in Moscow. You may count five of them here. And one of these yards is a closed well. All these courtyards be... Подробнее...

Our Friends


Specialist and job on the map www.profikarta.ru

Unusual Moscow tours www.stepbystep-msk.ru

Non-profit organization 'Medical Clowns'

Asthma Association Astmatik.net

Search for Missing Children www.lizaalert.org

Сharitable foundation "Happy world" www.hworldfund.ru

"Adoption in Russia" project www.usynovite.ru

Metro for everybody www.metro4all.ru

Culture. Services. News www.optimistclub.ru

Contact us

E-mail: admin@anothercity.ru