Another City - Home / History / The Old English Court

The Old English Court

The Old English Court is a stone mansion erected in the early 16th century in Varvarka-street on the east side of the Kremlin.

It is one of the earliest surviving specimens of Moscow's secular architecture. Most importantly it witnessed the birth of Anglo-Russian relations in the age of Ivan IV (the Terrible) and Elizabeth I. For it was here from 1556 to 1649 that the first English trading and ambassadorial office in Moscow was located, the first official residence of a Western power in the Russian capital.

The official opening of the Old English Court Museum took place on 18 October 1994 in the presence of and with the participation of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

Each room in the Old English Court Museum is devoted to a particular aspect of Anglo-Russian trade, diplomatic and cultural relations in the 16th-17th centuries. Excursions in the house provide an overall introduction to the history of the English Court and its inhabitants. The museum is also famous for its attractive selection of unusual educational activities in Russian.

Address: 109012, Moscow, Varvarka str., 4a


See other:

The Marfo-Mariinsky Convent The Marfo-Mariinsky Convent The angel standing on a cloud has blue wings and a lily in his hands. The angel is painted on a column in the Church of the Intercession of the Mother of God in the Mar... Подробнее...
Nativity Church at Putinki Nativity Church at Putinki The Church of the Nativity of the Theotokos at Putinki is one of the most picturesque churches in Moscow and the last major tent-like church in the history of Russian a... Подробнее...
The most English places in Moscow The most English places in Moscow Despite the distance between Russia and the UK, the countries are connected by commercial and cultural ties that stretch back centuries. Evidence of this relationship c... Подробнее...
Moscow at Night Moscow at Night It's a little journey on the roof of an unfinished building in Mosfilmovskaya Street. Подробнее...
Bolotnaya Square Bolotnaya Square The name of the area, Boloto (literally meaning the marsh), was known since the 14th century, when it was located in the meadows on the low bank of the Moscow River and... Подробнее...

Our Friends

Specialist and job on the map

Unusual Moscow tours

Non-profit organization 'Medical Clowns'

Asthma Association

Search for Missing Children

Сharitable foundation "Happy world"

"Adoption in Russia" project

Metro for everybody

Culture. Services. News

Contact us