Another City - Home / History / Bolotnaya Square

Bolotnaya Square

The name of the area, Boloto (literally meaning the marsh), was known since the 14th century, when it was located in the meadows on the low bank of the Moscow River and frequently flooded.

It belonged to the district of Zamoskvorechye, south of the river, and became an urban area much later than the left bank of the river, where the Kremlin is located. The square was frequently used for public executions, notably, the famous rebel Stepan Razin in 1671 and Yemelyan Pugachev, a leader of a peasant rebellion, who was executed there in 1775. It was also the last public execution in the square. The area was flooded on a regular basis until the 1780s, when the Vodootvodny Canal was dug to normalize the situation. In the 19th century, the area was built up by the addition houses and warehouses of local merchants, some of which are still intact.

In 1958, the monument to Ilya Repin was built in the center of the square. In 1962, the square was renamed Repin Square. In 1994, together with other streets and squares of the historical center of Moscow, it was renamed back to Bolotnaya Square. In 2001, the sculpture group of Children Are the Victims of Adult Vices by Mihail Chemiakin was unveiled on the square.

Source: Wikipedia

083ec5d56297eb21c33aa07979f37c0f450f6bc2d5c77b36ef3c138800250ff4e7c2f927-12b7-421d-a4d3-f3336c121cdb_800x600istorija-bolotnoj-ploshhadi_2_1kazn-pugacheva19FyxWYZGtokdoc69x8sn7p8wjpbt8nkre_800_480ffr_p0CJygsi_5Sf5lkgHEWOYka3YfQWs

See other:

Moscow legends about count Bruce Moscow legends about count Bruce We will tell you about one of the most remarkable Moscow residents, a contemporary of Peter the Great, Count Bruce, whose life gave rise to a great number of legends, m... Подробнее...
Nativity Church at Putinki Nativity Church at Putinki The Church of the Nativity of the Theotokos at Putinki is one of the most picturesque churches in Moscow and the last major tent-like church in the history of Russian a... Подробнее...
The Old English Court The Old English Court The Old English Court is a stone mansion erected in the early 16th century in Varvarka-street on the east side of the Kremlin. Подробнее...
St. Tatyana's Day - the history of the holiday St. Tatyana's Day - the history of the holiday On January 12, 1755, Empress Elizabeth Petrovna signed a decree placed before her by her favorite, Count Shuvalov, ordering the founding of Moscow University. The Count... Подробнее...
Bolotnaya Square Bolotnaya Square The name of the area, Boloto (literally meaning the marsh), was known since the 14th century, when it was located in the meadows on the low bank of the Moscow River and... Подробнее...

Our Friends


Specialist and job on the map www.profikarta.ru

Unusual Moscow tours www.stepbystep-msk.ru

Non-profit organization 'Medical Clowns'

Asthma Association Astmatik.net

Search for Missing Children www.lizaalert.org

Сharitable foundation "Happy world" www.hworldfund.ru

"Adoption in Russia" project www.usynovite.ru

Metro for everybody www.metro4all.ru

Culture. Services. News www.optimistclub.ru

Contact us

E-mail: admin@anothercity.ru