Another City - Home / History / The Tsar Cannon

The Tsar Cannon

It was created in 1586 in Moscow's Cannon Court by eminent Russian cannon-caster Andrei Chokhov on the order of Tsar Feodor Ioannovich, the sovereign ruler of All Great Russia. The Tsar Cannon is located on the west side of Ivanov Square, between the Ivan-the-Great Bell-Tower and the Twelve Apostles' Church.

 

Judging by the Tsar Cannon's caliber of 890 mm, it was given its name as the world’s biggest cannon. The gun's tube's weight is about 40 ton, its length is 5,34 m. The cannon's surface is adorned with the cast figured friezes, vegetation ornament, memorial inscriptions and an equestrian image of Tsar Feodor Ioannovich. In 1835, the Tsar Cannon was fixed on the carriage specially cast for it at the Berdt’s factory in St. Petersburg. Four hollow decorative cannonballs were made at the same time.

2

The Tsar Cannon has never shot. Mostly of symbolic impact, it was never used in a war.

Initially, the Tsar Cannon was fixed on Red Square near the Spasskiye Gate. In 1706, it was moved into the Kremlin, fixed at first in the Arsenal’s inner yard and than at the main gate (with another cannon). In 1835, the two cannons were staged on the new bases, specially cast on the project of A. Bryullov. In 1843, the Tsar Cannon and other old Russian cannons were placed in front of the Armoury Chamber’s old building in the opposite of the Arsenal. The captured cannons were left by the Arsenal.

3

In 1960, when the Palace of Congresses (now it is named the Kremlin's State Palace) was under construction, the building of the Armoury Chamber (architect I. Yegotov) was dismantled. The old cannons were transferred to the Arsenal’s building.

Later the Tsar Cannon was fixed on its present-day place. In 1970s the Tsar Cannon, its base and cannonballs were renovated.

4

See other:

The Tsar Cannon The Tsar Cannon It was created in 1586 in Moscow's Cannon Court by eminent Russian cannon-caster Andrei Chokhov on the order of Tsar Feodor Ioannovich, the sovereign ruler of All Great... Подробнее...
Vladimir Vysotsky remembered Vladimir Vysotsky remembered Vladimir Vysotsky's legacy comprises of over 600 songs and over 100 poems. He sang his songs with the accompaniment of a “Russian” seven-string guitar. Подробнее...
Lev Tolstoy Memorial Estate in Khamovniki Lev Tolstoy Memorial Estate in Khamovniki Near the centre of modern Moscow, though a place which a hundred years ago was in the country, there is a cozy little home-estate which was once owned by Leo Tolstoy. Подробнее...
The story of Moscow’s first chemist shops The story of Moscow’s first chemist shops Just under 100 years ago, Moscow opened its first fixed-price chemist shop. Подробнее...
Bolotnaya Square Bolotnaya Square The name of the area, Boloto (literally meaning the marsh), was known since the 14th century, when it was located in the meadows on the low bank of the Moscow River and... Подробнее...

Our Friends


Specialist and job on the map www.profikarta.ru

Unusual Moscow tours www.stepbystep-msk.ru

Non-profit organization 'Medical Clowns'

Asthma Association Astmatik.net

Search for Missing Children www.lizaalert.org

Сharitable foundation "Happy world" www.hworldfund.ru

"Adoption in Russia" project www.usynovite.ru

Metro for everybody www.metro4all.ru

Culture. Services. News www.optimistclub.ru

Contact us

E-mail: admin@anothercity.ru