Another City - Home / News / Sretensky Monastery

Sretensky Monastery

Sretensky Monastery is a monastery in Moscow, Russia, founded by Grand Prince Vasily I in 1397. Originally located close to the present-day Red Square, it was moved in the early 16th century to what is now Bolshaya Lubyanka Street. Many of the streets in the vicinity of the Sretensky Monastery now bear the monastery's name.

The name of the monastery is derived from an historical event. In the fourteenth century, Moscow was threatened by an imminent invasion by the Tatar Tamerlane who was then devastating the southern Russian countryside, including Ryazan. As the army under Grand Prince Vasily was preparing to do battle, Metropolitan Kiprian of Moscow ordered that the Vladimir Icon of the Mother of God be brought from Vladimir to Moscow to protect the capital from the invasion. Clergy of the Dormition Cathedral in Moscow were sent to Vladimir to bring the icon. In a grand procession the icon was carried to Moscow. The procession was met on August 26, 1395, by Metr. Kiprian, Muscovites, and the ruling prince, not far from the Kremlin, from whence the icon continued to the Dormition Cathedral in the Kremlin. Soon thereafter, the armies of Tamerlane retreated and the grateful prince established the monastery to commemorate the miracle.

Two years later, the Sretensky Monastery was established on the place of the "meeting" of the miracle-working icon of Our Lady of Vladimir that occurred before the retreat of the Tatar force. The name "Sretensky" is derived from the Church Slavonic word Stretenie, meaning "meeting."

Over the years, Sretensky Monastery became associated with many historical personalities. In 1552, the monastery was visited by Ivan IV after his conquest of Kazan who awarded generous donations to monastery. In later years, the tsars came to the monastery as pilgrims and financed the monastery's building program. The monastery took an active part in bringing Mikhail Fyodorovich to the throne of Russia, in 1613. The Moscow elite as well common people came to the monastery for prayers as they started on pilgrimages. Among the people who visited the monastery were Patriarch Nikon and the Metropolitans of Moscow Platon (Levshin) and Philaret (Drozdov). In Soviet times, Patriarch Tikhon served often at the monastery. Sergei Izvekov, the future Patriarch Pimen, took his monastic vows at the monastery on December 4, 1925.

Today

Sretensky Monastery is now one of the most important centers of Orthodox religious life and education in Russia. The cathedral is being restored, including restoration of the iconostasis according to the ancient canons. In addition to the daily Divine Liturgy and regular monastic life, the monastery has become one of the largest publication houses in Russia.

On September 8 O.S., 1995, the Patronal day of the monastery, the Vladimir Icon of the Mother of God was brought from the State Tryetyakov Gallery for two days. In spite of heavy rains, more than 30,000 believers participated in the procession at the monastery. The relics of the martyred Abp. Hilarion (Troitsky) were moved from St. Petersburg to the monastery in May 1999.

During the autumn of 1999, a new educational institution was established at the monastery. The Sretensky High Orthodox College (seminary) was founded to prepare well-educated clergy who are not only knowledgeable in theology but also in modern scientific and cultural matters and problems. The college offers studies in the two following disciplines: Orthodox theology and apologetics.

Two sketes (hermitages) are attached to the monastery. The first skete, which is for men, is dedicated to St. Seraphim of Sarov and is located the Ryazan region. The monks reside in the reconstructed Krasnoye mansion. The second skete, for women, is dedicated to God's Prophet Elijah and is located in the Moscow area. The nuns participate in the activities of the monastery.

Source: http://orthodoxwiki.org/Sretensky_Monastery

1234

See other:

Graffiti Homer Simpson Graffiti Homer Simpson One of the most famous and favorite character from the animated series «The Simpsons» - Homer Simpson, is watching us, eating donuts and smiling at accidental passers-b... Подробнее...
Abandoned houses with ghosts at Andronyevskaya Square Abandoned houses with ghosts at Andronyevskaya Square These two abandoned buildings, multiple dwellings in the past, face each other at Andronyevskaya Square, between Andronyevskiy Passage and Syezjinskiy Lane. They say th... Подробнее...
Fountain Fountain "Princess Turandot " One of the most long-suffering fountains in Moscow which no one vandal passes by is a fountain "Princess Turandot ". The fountain is located not far from the theater na... Подробнее...
Yard-wells in Moscow Yard-wells in Moscow St. Petersburg is famous for such narrow yard-wells formed by walls of houses. Moscow is not so rich in them, but also has some yard-wells, which have their outstanding... Подробнее...
The Film Set in Serednikovo The Film Set in Serednikovo In the village Serednikovo of Moscow region, you can find a film set, created in the style of Vyborg of the 18th century. Vyborg is a town on the Baltic coast of Russia... Подробнее...

Our Friends


Specialist and job on the map www.profikarta.ru

Unusual Moscow tours www.stepbystep-msk.ru

Non-profit organization 'Medical Clowns'

Asthma Association Astmatik.net

Search for Missing Children www.lizaalert.org

Сharitable foundation "Happy world" www.hworldfund.ru

"Adoption in Russia" project www.usynovite.ru

Metro for everybody www.metro4all.ru

Culture. Services. News www.optimistclub.ru

Contact us

E-mail: admin@anothercity.ru