Another City - Home / News / Igumnov House

Igumnov House

This mansion was named after Nikolai Vasilyevich Igumnov, who was at the time the owner of a large manufacture in Yaroslavl.

Eager to own a house that would mirror his social situation, he entrusted the project to Yaroslavl city's chief architect: N. Pozdeyed. Completed in 1893, it was built in the merchants' area: Zamoskvorechye.

Igumnov did not spare his money so as to enable Pozdeyev to complete his project successfully. The architect found his inspiration in former wooden palaces and churches in Yaroslavl. Bricks were especially brought from the Netherlands. The façade is made of multicolored tiles designed by a master in the art of tile painting. The famous Kuznetsovo factory made them. The interior of the house shows a certain eclectism in styles. The mansion, one of Moscow's most peculiar, was far from being appreciated by all. That might have been one element that rushed Igumnov's disgrace. Indeed, he had to leave Moscow after a rumor stated that a coin depicting the emperor had been slipped in the floor so that the Emperor's portrait would be stepped upon.

After 1917 the mansion had various purposes. Since 1938 it hosts the French Embassy. And since 1979, it is the official residence of French Ambassadors.

Address: Bolshaya Yakimanka St., 43

123456

See other:

Ostankino Park Ostankino Park This late 18th Century park, which lies somewhat incongruously between the Ostankino TV center and the Soviet kitsch of the vast VVTs exhibition grounds, was once part ... Подробнее...
Moscow received the international tourism award “Golden Apple” Moscow received the international tourism award “Golden Apple” Moscow became the winner of international tourism award "Golden Apple". As reported TASS, the award was for work on preservation of cultural and historical heritage and... Подробнее...
Photo exhibition of Erwin Volkov Photo exhibition of Erwin Volkov "Erwin’s Road” Moscow Center of Photography named after Lumiere brothers discovers a new name in photography and presents the personal exhibition of Russian-German photographer Erwin ... Подробнее...
Horse-riding school Horse-riding school "Sokoros" The horse-riding school "Sokoros" – the oldest horse-riding base in Moscow. The children's equestrian school situated on the territory of the base was founded in 1965.... Подробнее...
Monument to lost children Monument to lost children The Monument to lost children was opened on May 26 in Moscow on square in front of the Park of Arts "Muzeon" on the initiative of the volunteer search group "Liza Alert... Подробнее...

Our Friends


Specialist and job on the map www.profikarta.ru

Unusual Moscow tours www.stepbystep-msk.ru

Non-profit organization 'Medical Clowns'

Asthma Association Astmatik.net

Search for Missing Children www.lizaalert.org

Сharitable foundation "Happy world" www.hworldfund.ru

"Adoption in Russia" project www.usynovite.ru

Metro for everybody www.metro4all.ru

Culture. Services. News www.optimistclub.ru

Contact us

E-mail: admin@anothercity.ru