The theater was founded on the 8th of January 1912 by Vladimir Durov – a founder of the famous dynasty whose descendants are working in the theater now. Vladimir Durov was a renowned clown, animal trainer and a writer. His main method of taming excluded whips and sticks. He advised to treat and train animals with kindness and understanding. His theater has always been a place where children and adults get not only entertainment, but here they are being educated as well. The theater was built in 1894 by architect August Weber. Later in 1911-1912 it was rebuilt by architect N. Polikarpov. Statues of animals in the lobby were made by the founder of the theater. Nowadays there are two functioning stages in the theater – a Big one and a Small one. Besides in the theater there is a famous attraction "The Mouse Railroad" and the museum.