Another City - Home / Places / Churches, cloisters / Resurrection Church in Kadashi

Resurrection Church in Kadashi

The Resurrection Church in Kadashi Sloboda (Храм Воскресения Христова в Кадашах) is a major Naryshkin Baroque church in Moscow (Yakimanka District), formerly the tallest building in Zamoskvorechye, which may still be seen from Red Square.

 

A wooden church on this site was documented as early as 1493.[1] The elongated five-domed church with an elegantly "laced" belfry was constructed between 1687 and 1695. The interior was frescoed in the late 17th century. Napoleon's soldiers desecrated the church, turning it into a stables.[1] In the 19th century, the icon screen was restored, the galleries and apses were expanded, and several outsize domed porches were added. The church was closed by the Soviets in 1934 and was adapted for accommodation of a KGB archive. It was not returned to the Russian Orthodox Church until December 2006.

There was much media focus on the Kadashi Church in 2010 when Moscow mayor Yuri Luzhkov ordered the demolition of several old buildings near the church, including a deacon's house from 1813, in order to replace them with an elite apartment complex. The decision was viewed as Luzhkov's latest attack on Moscow's architectural heritage in the interests of building companies[2] and sparked a resistance campaign labelled the "battle of Kadashi" by the Russian media.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kadashi_Church

See other:

Savvino-Storozhevsky Monastery Savvino-Storozhevsky Monastery The Savvino-Storozhevsky Monastery is a Russian Orthodox monastery in Zvenigorod. Подробнее...
Catholic Cathedral in Malaya Gruzinskaya Street Catholic Cathedral in Malaya Gruzinskaya Street You'll discover an amazing sight if you decide to walk in Malaya Gruzinskaya Street one evening. The cathedral of the Immaculate Conception of the Holy Virgin Mary, whi... Подробнее...
Novodevichy Convent Novodevichy Convent The Novodevichy Convent was founded in 1524 by Grand Prince Vasili III in commemoration of the conquest of Smolensk in 1514. It was built as a fortress at a curve of th... Подробнее...
St. Andrew’s Monastery. St. Andrew’s Monastery. St. Andrew’s Monastery was built in 1648 in the place of the monastery burned-out in 1547 (as the legend has it, the first convent was built here in the 13th century). ... Подробнее...
Zaryadie Zaryadie It is one of the ancient districts of Moscow. It was named Zariadie in the 17th century, because of its location behind ("za") the traders’ stalls ("riady"), which exte... Подробнее...

Our Friends


Specialist and job on the map www.profikarta.ru

Unusual Moscow tours www.stepbystep-msk.ru

Non-profit organization 'Medical Clowns'

Asthma Association Astmatik.net

Search for Missing Children www.lizaalert.org

Сharitable foundation "Happy world" www.hworldfund.ru

"Adoption in Russia" project www.usynovite.ru

Metro for everybody www.metro4all.ru

Culture. Services. News www.optimistclub.ru

Contact us

E-mail: admin@anothercity.ru